This guide to climbing the Burj Khalifa in Dubai will help you prepare for your visit to this incredible building, considered the tallest in the world and with views that will leave you speechless.
Opened in 2010, this impressive building stands 828 meters tall, twice the height of the Empire State Building, and is, without a doubt, a true marvel of modern design and architecture.
Inspired by the spider lily flower and encased in more than 28,000 glass panels, the Burj Khalifa not only holds the record for height, but also for the tallest gazebo, the highest inhabited floor, and the highest number of floors. with 186.
Its name honors the Sheikh and President of the United Arab Emirates, who contributed the $ 1.5 billion cost of the building.
Based on the experience of our visit to this building during the trip to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Rub ‘al Khali in 9 days, we tell you the best way to go up to Burj Khalifa, the price, how to get there, and schedules as well as how to book tickets so that the experience is comfortable and easy. We started!
How to get to Burj Khalifa
The best way to get to the Burj Khalifa is with the red metro line that connects with the airport and has a stop just below this building and the Dubai Mall, another of the essential places to visit in Dubai.
If you are far from a metro stop, something common in Dubai due to the great distances that separate the tourist spots of the city, the best way to get there is to take a taxi, they are quite affordable, paying for a journey of about 20 kilometers about 40-60AED, depending on traffic.
Access to the Burj Khalifa is via the ground floor of the Dubai Mall, located near the Dubai Fountains.
Type of tickets to Burj Khalifa
The Burj Khalifa in Dubai has 3 viewpoints:
- Floors 124 and 125 located 442 meters high
- Floor 148 at 555 meters
- Private rooms on floors 152, 153 and 154
- The first viewpoint has 360-degree panoramic views on its two floors (124 and 125) and also on the 124th floor, you can find a non-glazed area, from where you can take the best photos. Another advantage of this viewpoint is that it has no time limit, so we recommend you arrive an hour before sunset to see the city by day, the sunset, and how the skyscrapers of the city light up.
- The opening hours of this viewpoint are from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday until midnight).
- The price of admission to the Burj Khalifa is 224 dirhams (AED) in primetime from 3:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and 149 AED the rest of the hours.
At the box office, tickets are more expensive, you have to queue and you can run out of seats, especially during prime time, so it is highly advisable to book your ticket here in advance.
Another more exclusive option is to book this experience that includes the panoramic views of the 124th and 125th floor and dinner at the Burj Club on the fifth floor, with views of the Dubai Fountain Show.
The observation deck on the 148th floor known as “At the Top” opened recently to break the height record of 546 meters held by the observation deck of the Shanghai Tower. The drawback of this viewpoint is that it has a maximum time of 30 minutes, although afterward, you can go down to the viewpoints on the 124th and 125th floor without paying a new ticket.
The hours of this viewpoint are from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and the price of admission varies between AED 533 from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and AED 378 from 7:00 p.m.
As with the other viewpoint, it is advisable to reserve your ticket here in advance.
The views it offers from its outdoor terrace are similar to those of the lower viewpoint, although the fact of being on the highest viewpoint in the world has its charm and is one of the reasons why it can be very interesting to pay that extra.
An even more exclusive option is “The Lounge”, located 575 meters high, where you can enjoy incredible views from its outdoor terrace and a fantastic gourmet experience. These rooms have all the comforts with sofas and a refreshment service that varies according to the time you enter.
The first option at “The Lounge” is the “Tea in the Clouds” which takes place between 12:30 pm and 5:00 pm and includes fresh cakes and delicious desserts, along with a selection of the best teas and coffees. The price is AED 608 and you can book in advance here.
The second is “Cocktails under the stars” which takes place between 7:30 pm and 9:00 pm and includes a drink and gourmet canapés, enlivened with the songs of a vocalist. The price is AED 608 and you can make a reservation here.
The last experience is the «Sunset with bubbles» It takes place between 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. and includes champagne, gourmet canapes, and musical entertainment. The price is 657 AED and you can make a reservation here.
Tips for climbing the Burj Khalifa
This series of tips will help you have the best experience on your visit to the Burj Khalifa :
- It is recommended to arrive half an hour before the time you have assigned in the reservation since it is the time it usually takes from the ticket office to the viewpoint.
- To pass the access control it is necessary to show the passport next to the reservation.
- The elevator that goes up to the viewpoints is the fastest in the world, ascending at 10 meters per second.
- On a clear day, you can see more than 90 kilometers away.
- In addition to views of the surrounding skyscrapers and Dubai fountains, you’ll see the Burj al Arab, The World artificial island complex, and the desert, among many other places.
- If you are in the viewpoint from 6 pm you can see the water, light and music show that takes place every half hour in the Dubai fountains.
- There is a free left-luggage office in the lockers area, in case you want to leave your backpack.
- Before reaching the ticket office area and on the 124th-floor viewpoint, you have a shop to buy any details related to the Burj Khalifa.
- In addition to the shops, in the viewpoints, there are restrooms and a cafeteria.